Skip to main content

For Girls: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Infertility is one of the most common PCOS symptoms. Because the symptoms of PCOS are seemingly unrelated to one another, the condition is often overlooked and undiagnosed.


Overview

Polycystic ovary syndrome causes irregular menstrual cycles, excessive body or facial hair and polycystic ovaries as its main symptoms. Polycystic means "many cysts," and PCOS often causes clusters of small, pearl-sized cysts in the ovaries. The cysts are fluid-filled and contain immature eggs. Women with PCOS produce slightly higher amounts of male hormones known as androgens, which contribute to some of the symptoms of the condition.
The cause of PCOS is not known. Some women with PCOS are less sensitive to insulin than other women, a condition known as insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can causes the ovaries to produce too many male hormones. The resulting hormonal imbalance can cause the symptoms of PCOS. The condition appears to run in families, and sisters of those with it are twice as likely to have it. Currently, PCOS has no cure, but a variety of PCOS treatments can help alleviate the symptoms of this disease, including infertility.


PCOS Symptoms

PCOS is a syndrome disease defined by a collection of signs and symptoms. The symptoms of PCOS that one patient experiences can be very different from the symptoms of another patient. If you have two or more of the following symptoms, you need to have a thorough checkup to determine if you need PCOS treatment:
  • Irregular or missing menstrual periods
  • Infertility
  • Excess or unwanted body or facial hair growth
  • Thinning hair on the scalp
  • Weight problems, often including weight gain around the waist
  • Skin problems, including skin tags, darkening skin and acne

Complications of PCOS

The common PCOS symptoms are difficult enough for most women, but some will experience further complications, including:
  • Diabetes, elevated insulin levels or insulin resistance
  • Heart and blood vessel problems
  • Uterine cancer
  • Sleep apnea
Each of these problems can be life threatening, which is why treatment for PCOS is so important.

PCOS Treatments

Polycystic ovary syndrome treatment starts with a proper diagnosis. Treatments are then chosen based on a woman's symptoms, age and future pregnancy plans. Treatment for PCOS may include:
  • Birth control pills to regulate menstruation
  • Insulin-sensitizing medications
  • Ovulation induction to treat infertility
  • Androgen-blocking medications
  • Topical anti-hair-growth medications
  • Other excess hair treatments
  • Treatments for hair loss
  • Acne treatments
  • Removal of other skin problems

Lifestyle and Prevention

One of the best treatments for PCOS is a healthy lifestyle. A healthy diet low in refined carbohydrates is important, as this can help regulate blood sugar levels. Exercise can also help the body regulate insulin and keep excess weight off. Losing weight is challenging with PCOS, but doing so can help reduce the male hormone levels in the body, and some women will begin to ovulate naturally. With a proper diagnosis, lifestyle changes and PCOS treatment, women can get relief from this condition and the overwhelming health problems it can cause.

This was edited by:
Cristina Meriggiola, MD, PhD
University of Bologna
Musa Zamah, MD, PhD
University of California, San Francisco

The reason I put up this post is because I was concerned with my own condition right now, So girls, take care of yourself, and make sure you get to check up if anything is wrong with your body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conversation: Mental Health and Self-care

We had a conversation in the car.  About mental health in workplace.  It was a very sensitive topic to me since I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Having bipolar means the depression is worst. The period is longer. Then BAMMMMMM mood swings, anger, eating disorder, grieve, anxiety came along.  But we were talking about it because I was a high-functioning person with bipolar disorder. I didn't get medication for more than two months now, and believe me, everyday that pass by is just me throwing my body to the wall and breaks like a piece of ceramic and pick myself back again with bare hands. It's hard.  I didn't get medication, I didn't get counselling, I didn't get psychotheraphy. I was struggling to do self-care, I was struggling to sleep or wake up. It was a battle everyday, and to think about it, I just started a career. I was marching in a battleground every morning.  Mental health in workplace has been recently a raised topic in Mal

Book Review: Tirani by Beb Sabariah

(This is the finest picture of the book that I can find on the web) The theme and story line is purely on women. Say it to me, I am feminist (grin) hewhewhew. This book is about a woman (Waheeda) who is obsessed to beauty, until she decides that she wants to do plastic surgery. She is tired of being mocked that she is ugly. At the same time, she was a managing a tourism company in Sarawak. Yes, it surprises me that the whole story line talked about Sarawak, and I finally realize the beauty of my own land. Because when I picked this book out of the shelves, I never thought that it took place in Sarawak, especially Kuching. Those roads that I am really familiar with. Towards the end of the story, her husband, Zahid left her because he thought that she was cheating on her. Waheeda struggled and became single mom. Brought up her daughter, Izzati until they met again. The struggle of women caught my eyes for this novel. I really want women to be look up as the one power that

Book Review: Seronok by Saat Omar (Buku FIXI)

(I believe what is more catchy is the book cover!) Thanks to CAIS UNIMAS, I finally can read this book. The theme of the story is about homosexual -- Amirul is falling for Bakar. For me, I've been looking for this type of story in Malaysian literature, too bad I started with this one (after all I always loved Fixi books). I am studying on transgender and their 'relatives' and being homophobic at the same time. Trying to understand why people don't accept them. I actually accepts them, but not allowing them continue being one. Because? It is wrong of course. However, nice story line, the composition and the maximum usage of the characters, I love them. Especially Amirul because he actually told everyone he is a gay, but not to his mother (how ironic!) And few critics on arts and films, it blends well and towards the ending ----- a gay can actually change to a normal guy. Why? Because woman belong to man, and so vice versa.